This time of year, my apartment is a constant battle of boiling heat radiated from the….radiator, and freezing air intruding through the windows I have as open as possible to let out the heat.
Ah well, while I wait for fresh air that doesn’t turn my hot cocoa into ice, I’ll take a tip from Apartment Therapy and choose a couple* plants from their list of “13 Top Air Purifying House Plants” – list after the jump.
1. Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
2. English Ivy (Hedera helix)
4. Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata)
5. Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii)
6. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
7. Janet Craig Dracaena (Dracaena deremensis)
8. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaaonema modestum)
9. Variegated Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans “Massangeana”)
10. Dracaena Warneckii (Dracaena deremensis “Warneckii”)
11. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema modestum)
12. Potted Mum (Chrysanthemum)
13. Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans “Massangeana”)
Other recommended plants: Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii), Umbrella plant (Schefflera arboricola), Heart-leaf Philodendron (Philodendron scandens), Tree Philodendron (Philodendron selloum), Elephant Ear Philodendron (Philodendron domesticum), Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina), Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata), Pothos Vine (Epipremnum aureus), Aloe Vera.
*Remember to always choose plants that are appropriate for the amount/length of light you get in your apartment. You can’t cheat this, seriously.